How to Tie a Scud Wet Fly
Fly tying techniques are different in every fly so here is
- Hook: Heavy wire nymph hook,
- #10 Weight Non-toxic wire, size 0.020" diameter
- Thread: Any color good colours to use though are : Orange, Tan, Gray or White
- Rib : Copper wire medium
- Shellback: 1/8" Mylar Strip or latex scud back
- Tan nymph dubbing
How to make a Tan Scud Wet Fly
- Wrap the bare hook shank with non-2 toxic wire and cover with a smooth base of thread.
- Tie in the copper wire.
- Tie in the strip of mylar
- Spin dubbing thickly onto thread and wrap a rough shaggy body, leaving 1.5-2 hook eye diameters of space behind the eye
- Pull the shellback over the body and tie off behind the eye.
- Wrap wire rib in an open spiral, tie off behind the eye, and whip finish.
- Tease out dubbing fibers by brushing the sides and bottom with Velcro.
- The finished fly should be very shaggy.